Sunday, November 18, 2007

Episode 7- Second Hand Store Shopping

Reminder- you can see all of Mutha's shows on You Tube. Link

The idea to do a mommy show came to me about this time last year. I was pregnant with Avalon and on bed rest and searching for some decent mommy TV. When I couldn't what I was looking for, I turned off the TV in frustration and created a series of shows for moms in my head.

Turns out dreaming of creating a show I'd like to see was more fun than watching the limited programming available. The thoughts came quickly and easily and soon I had a long list of ideas in one of my handy dandy notebooks.

This particular episode was one of the shows I thought about that day. Fast forward one year later and I was getting frustrated because I didn't think this show was possible for me to create. I wasn't able to get permission to shoot my show where it should have been shot. As I explained in the opening scene, an internet show is a relatively new concept, especially one for moms. Especially in my area of the country.

I'm one determined lady. I wasn't going to let a location snafu stop me from bringing you this episode. I turned it into a challenge. Could I do this show from my house, and with just me on camera? Could I carry an entire show with no interviews, no voice overs, and no cutaways? Could I get my information across with no cue cards or script? This was my first show where I didn't use a script, just an outline for each segment. Could I really pull this off???

You tell me. Lucky episode #7 - Second Hand Store Shopping.







The coat in this episode is made with faux fur. You think I could afford that much fur on my budget? This IS a second hand store show!


I am now going on a break to have some Thanksgiving, some surgery, and some recovery time. New episodes about dentists and bloggers will be coming up sometime in December. See you then!

10 comments:

Steph said...

This show did work, just the way it is! Thanks for all the tips :)

Mutha Mae said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mutha Mae said...

That was from me, I screwed up what I wanted to say. Steph, I appreciate your feedback. Thanks for taking the time to post!

tut-tut said...

I'd say you're wonderful scriptless! I really really think you've got something here . . . keep going!

Future note to mothers of small children: shopping at the thrift shop once those small children reach double digits won't really work out so well . . . For some reason, teenagers think they know exactly what they want to wear.

Anonymous said...

I think it was great! I enjoyed the tips, and it made me want to go shopping. Well, I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing :o)

Jenn said...

Wonderful show! You made it work right where it was!

A is so cute at the end! You've got pretty girls!

BekkiBoo aka tubelessstl said...

ahhh, nice timing on this episode. I was at Value Village(mckenzie point) last night. I watch the River Front Times for advertisement for them. Lowand behold, Last night they had 1/2 off all clothes. I got 4 really really cute boutique dresses and pants outfits for Julia for only 1.00 each.

Also, I need to find out how to get it again, but Goodwill send out a 20% off coupon last week for their store on Ballas and Union (old save a lot store) and I got 6 name brand outfits for .80 cents each!

Unknown said...

Awwww, look at that Avie!! She is WAY too precious.

Awesome show! :-) Love it!

And in the end you were kinda going for that "Roseanne" look, weren't you? Good job set designers!

gnomic said...

Good show.

Also check out www.shopgoodwill.com. Cheaper than ebay.

Anonymous said...

Hi Mutha,


Thank you for your Christmas Greeting! One of my goals for 2008 is to incorporate video into my blog. You are an inspiration!